You may hear people use the term “garden apartment” or “garden-style apartment”, but what does it mean?
What is Garden-Style Apartment?
A garden-style apartment refers to a type of an apartment building, and is an outdoor-style (garden) complex that can be one, two, or three stories in height (low rise), and typically are two or three stories.
The complex is also further characterized by garden-like settings – low-rise buildings surrounded by lawns, trees, shrubbery, and gardens.
Garden-style apartments are usually found in suburban, suburban-urban hybrid, and rural areas. Buildings may or may not have an elevator. Usually buildings have parking in front of the buildings or along the outside of the complex.
On the contrary, in a downtown or more-dense urban environment, you usually have more “mid-rise” or “high-rise” buildings. Most people know what a high-rise is. A mid-rise is usually characterized as an internal building that looks like a high-rise but is not as ‘tall’ in height. Mid and high-rise apartment buildings have at least one elevator.
Pros of Garden Style Living
While the exact definition of garden-style is not too important, and some people may have slightly different definitions, the possible benefits are worth noting:
- Easy access. When you wake up in the morning, you usually don’t have to travel very far to get to your car (assuming the building has good on-site parking). That is, you walk outside your unit into the parking lot, and similarly, when you get home, it’s easy.
- More spread out from your neighbors. Most of the garden-style buildings are generally more spread out as opposed to a mid or high rise. This is helpful as it can translate into a quieter living environment, although there are many more factors at play with sound control.
- Low-Rise Living – Typically in a garden style apartment, there are a maximum of 3 levels, with multiple buildings spread out, so you can expect to enjoy low0rise living.
- Lots of greenery. By definition, because they are outside, many garden-style communities are characterized by green space. A good management company keeps this greenery, flowers, and landscaping looking beautiful. Often times, there are interior courtyards.
- Amenities on-site. Because of their space, many garden-style complexes have amenities like a clubhouse and pool.
- Direct Walk In. Garden-style apartments usually have open breezeways where you walk up the stairs and can walk directly into your apartment door without entering internal common hallway.
- Private Entrance Possibility – With garden style apartment, you have the possibility for private entrances where you can walk directly into your apartment home.
- Surface Parking – Typically, in garden style apartment, you have surface parking spots, as opposed to garage parking
There are advantages and disadvantages to different building types, but it’s also a personal decision and one that’s going to vary depending on your options. When you’re ready to begin your search, and in addition to building type, you might also want to consider these other factors – things like location, price, reviews and the rental agreement.
Are Garden Style Apartments Nice?
Yes, Garden Style Apartments can be very nice. In fact, it is possible for garden style apartments to be built with an equal amenity package (if not superior) to mid and high-rise buildings. The better question to ask is what makes a good apartment building.
Are Garden Style Apartments Cheaper?
Garden style apartments are not necessarily cheaper, but often times they can be. You need to consider location, size of apartments, amenities offered, quality of upkeep, etc. In general, because garden style apartments tend to be on the suburban outskirts or major cities, all things being equal, they tend to offer cheaper rents than the downtown urban core.
Do Garden Style Apartments Have an Elevator?
While it’s possible for garden style apartments to have an elevator, it is extremely rare. Most garden style apartments are walk ups with exterior stair cases. These stair cases are usually open to weather elements, but some staircases are partially covered.
Check out some pictures of various garden style apartments….
Check out this video summary on what is a garden-style apartment.