You have come across the term ‘apartment surface parking lot’. So, what does an apartment surface parking lot mean? It’s not as complicated as it seems.
Apartment Surface Parking Lot Definition
An apartment surface parking lot refers to an outdoor parking lot that is uncovered. There is no garage or overhead cover, but just a normal striped parking lot outside on a surface (concrete, gravel, or asphalt). A surface parking lot is in contrast to garage parking or other covered parking like a carport.
Things To Consider With Apartment Surface Parking
When it comes to apartment surface parking, there are different versions. For example, there can be straight spots, angled spots, double tandem spots or parallel spots. This usually depends on the layout and space available in the apartment building. Angled spots tend to work best for limited spaces.
Double tandem spots are spots where you park 2 cars in the same spot and one car block in the other. This works well if you and your roommate have 2 cars and one person always leaves first. Why do tandem parking then? Well, it usually comes at a cheaper rate than getting 2 spots. Ask if your building has tandem parking.
Here are some advantages and disadvantages –
Advantages of Surface Parking
- Easier to get in and out of the parking lot as it is on the ground and not on multi-level situation
- Can often see your car parked from your unit allowing you to keep an eye on it.
- Save time because you don’t have to wind down your garage.
- Usually a cheaper option when it comes to monthly payments (assuming your apartment building charges for parking)
Disadvantages of Surface Parking
- Your vehicle is not covered, which means it is not protected from the weather elements (snow, rain, sleet, sun)
- Can accelerate the deterioration process of your vehicle if you live in an area with extreme temperatures and conditions.
How to Protect Your Car Outside?
If covered or garage parking is not an option, you can protect your car with these simple steps –
- Use a car cover that can withstand the elements.
- Use a windscreen sunshade.
- Wash and maintain your car regularly.
- Keep Ice Scraper in car if you live in winter weather climate
Surface parking is very popular. Usually, you don’t have the choice between type of parking at a particular building as it’s common for a building to have either covered parking or surface parking and not both, but that’s not always true.