So you are about to move into your first apartment and are looking for a list of things you need for your new home.
Below is a checklist of the things you need for your first apartment, along with approximate costs.
In total, expect to spend anywhere from $4,400 to $8,700 if you have to purchase all new things for your apartment.
Quick Summary Video or keep reading:
Below is a breakdown of costs by room.
Your bedroom is typically where you spend the most time so you want it to be as comfortable as possible.
- Bed frame ($150 to $1,000)
- Mattress ($150 to $700)
- Nightstand ($50 to $100)
- Dresser ($300)
- Alarm Clock ($10)
- Pillows, bed sheets and comforters ($50 to $300)
- Closet hangers ($30)
Total Approximate Cost: $750 to $2,500 per bedroom
Your living room is a space where you want to relax and unwind, so you will want to include some important comforts.
- Couch ($500 to $1,000)
- Armchairs ($150 to $300 each)
- Television ($500 to $1,000)
- Coffee Table ($250)
- Google Home or Alexa ($100)
- Rugs and carpets ($100 to $400)
Total Approximate Cost: $1,600 to $3,050
The kitchen is the heart of the home, which is why you will want to make sure it is well equipped with vital tools and appliances to make your life easier.
- Chairs and tables ($150 to $500)
- Bar stools ($250)
- Microwave ($90)
- Strainers and can openers ($10 to $20)
- Knife set ($30 to $100)
- Cooking pots and pans ($75 to $150)
- Baking Trays ($50)
- Silverware set ($30)
- Dinnerware, plates and bowls set ($50)
- Cups, mugs and glasses ($40)
- Coffee maker ($100)
- Paper towel holder and paper towels ($10)
- Napkins ($10)
- Trash can ($10 to $20)
- Blender ($30)
- Measuring Spoon and Cut Set ($20)
- Spatulas, spoons and whisks ($20)
- Oven mitts ($10 to $20)
- Mixing bowls ($10 to $20)
- Storage bags/cups ($10)
- Spice containers/condiments ($10 to $20)
- Mixer ($50)
- Pizza Cutter ($10)
- Placemats ($10)
- Dish Towel ($5)
- Serving Bowl ($10)
Total Approximate Cost: $1,110 to $1,600
For your apartment bathroom, you will want to make sure all the essentials are included for your bath and personal care.
- Toothbrush holder, toothbrush, mouthwash and toothpaste ($10 to $20)
- Bath and hand towels ($20 to $40)
- Toilet paper ($20)
- Plunger ($5)
- Shower curtain and shower curtain liner ($20)
- Shower hooks ($10 to $20)
- Soap and shower gel ($10)
- Hand washing liquid or soap ($10 to $20)
- Shampoo and Conditioner ($10 to $20)
- Small trash can ($10)
- First-aid supplies ($30)
- Bath and toilet rug ($20)
- Any Medication
Total Approximate Cost: $175 to $235
You will also need to make sure your apartment is kept clean with the right stock of supplies.
- Trash bags ($15)
- Toilet scrubber ($15)
- Dishwashing soap ($5)
- Sponges ($5)
- All-purpose cleaning ($10)
- Shower and bath cleaning ($10)
- Bathroom cleaning supplies ($20)
- Kitchen cleaning supplies ($20)
- Vacuum cleaner ($100 to $300)
- Mop and bucket ($20)
- Laundry detergent ($10)
Total Approximate Cost: $230 to $430
You may also need to have additional lights for your own needs as typically many apartments are dark and need more light.
- Stand-up lamps ($50 to $200)
- Table lamps ($50 to $100)
- Extra Light bulbs ($10 to $20)
Total Approximate Cost: $110 to $320
Apart from the main things, you may also need some additional things for the house.
- Tool kit ($30)
- Welcome mat ($10 to $20)
- Area rugs ($50)
- Duct tape ($5)
- Batteries ($10 to $20)
- Power strips and extension cords ($10 to $20)
- Flashlight ($10 to $20)
- Fans ($50 to $100)
- Pens and paper ($10 to $20)
- Tweezers ($5)
- Packing tape to return packages ($5)
- Artwork and Wall Décor ($250)
Total Approximate Cost: $430 to $520
Total approximate cost, of all the above, is about $4,400 to $8,700 for things you may need for your first apartment. Of course, you may have many of these items already so it could be less. If you have multiple bedrooms or bathrooms though, it could be more.
Setting up an apartment from scratch takes some planning, which is why this checklist is a great place to start. Add or remove whatever you need for your own personal situation and you are on your way to a well-organized lifestyle.