Wondering what the term ‘amenities’ means? An amenity is a feature or benefit that adds more comfort and pleasures to one’s lifestyle. In the context of an apartment, ‘amenities’ are generally defined as additional features within the apartment building and apartment unit that make it more comfortable and convenient, such as a swimming pool or fitness center, or an in-unit washer and dryer or dishwasher. Typically, when people refer to apartment amenities, they are referring to the external features that can enhance your lifestyle.
Read on to learn more about amenity costs and the types of amenities that are available.
Are Amenities Free?
Whether or not amenities are free varies from apartment building to apartment building. Some amenities may be free for the apartment residents to use, while others may cost money. If you intend to rent, it is important to check the cost of amenities beforehand so you are not caught surprised later.
What Amenities Do I Want?
Ultimately, the type of amenities you want will depend on your hobbies and lifestyle. For example, are you a fitness guru? Then perhaps a fitness center will be appealing to you. Do you enjoy swimming? A pool within the complex may be the ideal amenity addition.
What Types of Amenities are Available?
As mentioned, the most common reference to the term apartment ‘amenity’ is based on external features within a building, such as a fitness gym, swimming pool, or spa area. But, an amenity can also refer to internal apartment features that make your lifestyle more comfortable.
Some examples of internal amenities include –
- Washer and Dryer in the unit
- High-end finishes and fixtures
- Central air conditioning and heating
- Smart home
- Security systems and intercom
- Large bathtubs
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Online rent options
Some examples of external amenities include –
- Swimming pools
- Fitness center
- Billiards Table
- Outdoor areas like playgrounds, walking paths, pet-friendly spaces and parks
- Valet trash
- Surveillance cameras
- Green surrounding neighborhood
- Building Wi-Fi
- Party room
- Package lockers
- Covered parking
- Bike parking
- Social area or rooftop garden
What are the Benefits of Amenities?
The biggest benefit to having good amenities is it can make the space more desirable and add to your quality of life. For example,
- Local amenities like parks give you the chance to unwind and relax without having to leave the comfort of your apartment complex.
- A common socializing area allows you to meet other residents and make friends with the people who live around you.
- A fitness or pool area can give you the opportunity to work on your health and wellness goals.
- An in-unit washer/dryer allows you to finish loads of laundry without having to share the space with others.
- An in-unit dishwasher allows you to get your dishes done quickly and efficiently, while central air conditioning or heating keeps the place comfortably cool or warm depending on the season.
- Local dog parks are ideal for getting your pet outside without having to worry about issues like traffic.
- A rooftop garden or party area can create a sense of a community with all residents coming together every once in a while.
Overall, having access to these amenities can make a huge impact on your lifestyle. And the best part is you don’t have to travel anywhere for them if you have access to them in your apartment or apartment complex.
If you are looking to rent an apartment and having access to good amenities is important to you, make sure you search for places that meet your specific lifestyle needs. Use this guide to help you establish the must-have amenities for your lifestyle and start narrowing down your choices from there.