Before you decide on an apartment to rent, your first step should be to schedule a few apartment tours so you know exactly what is available in the market.
Viewing apartments takes time so you need to make sure you are choosing the right apartments, ones that fit into your specific lifestyle needs.
Quick Summary Video (if you prefer)…and then keep reading…
Here is everything you need to know about how long apartment tours typically take.
How Long Should You Take While Touring the Apartment
Generally speaking, an apartment tour takes about 30 minutes, but you should allow for at least 60 minutes (especially if you have questions for the agent or need to wait your turn).
Here are some things to consider asking before your apartment tour –
- Do you need to make an appointment in advance?
- Is it helpful to make an appointment in advance?
- Is there any parking available?
- How long will you have to wait?
- Are there any other people touring the apartment around the same time as you?
It helps to know these questions ahead of time so you can properly prepare.
How to Maximize Value From Your Apartment Tour
Apartment tours can be short but you need to make sure you get the most value from them. Here are some tips to help you do that –
- Make sure all your paperwork is in order so you are ready to commit if there is an apartment you love.
- Take a look at the size of the bedrooms and make sure they fit into your space needs.
- Take a look at the cleanliness of the apartment. While it may not be the exact apartment you take, if the model is not clean, that is not a good sign typically.
- Is the exterior free and clean of trash, and is it seemingly well maintained?
- Take a virtual tour in advance so you are better prepared
- Prepare a list of questions you need to ask about the apartment so you don’t forget when you are on the tour.
The best way to optimize your search effort and find the perfect apartment is to be as prepared as possible so you don’t waste any time during the tour, and ask questions about the factors that matter most to you.
How Many Apartments Should you Tour?
This generally depends on each individual, but most people look at about three apartment complexes before finalizing something that works for them. Budget a few days so you can see a couple of apartments but be quick if you find something you like because they can get taken quickly and you might miss out.
How Far in Advance Should You Book An Appointment For a Tour?
Generally, a few days to a week before your intended date to tour should be sufficient. If it is a hot brand new lease-up or particularly in-demand building, the sooner the better.
Don’t speed up your apartment tours to save time, but at the same time, try to use your time sensibly for the best results.