Are you in the market to rent an apartment or duplex? First, let’s look at the definitions. Then, we will explore some of the pros and cons of each.
While a duplex and apartment are similar in that they both contain units to house people, a duplex refers to two separate units within one structure whereas an apartment refers to a singular unit (may or may not be part of a larger structure).
Let’s dig into this a little deeper.
What is the Difference Between a Duplex and an Apartment?
Duplexes and apartments are fairly similar but there are a few distinct differences.
- A duplex consists of two separate units that sit next to or on top of each other within one structure. They typically come with a garage.
- An apartment refers to a single unit within a complex or group of units, although it could be by itself. There are likely to be neighbors on either side and/or above and below in an apartment complex setting.
Pros and Cons of Duplexes and Apartments
Pros of a Duplex Unit
- More likely to have in-unit washers and dryers
- Often larger than apartments
- Just one neighbor, which is great for those who like peace and quiet.
- Likely to have easier parking
Cons of a Duplex Unit
- Can be more expensive than apartments.
- Not as widely available as apartments.
- Can be lonely with just one neighbor if you like to socialize.
- May have to do some of the maintenance or lawn work on your own.
- Often do not come with amenities like swimming pools and gyms.
Pros of an Apartment Unit
- Plenty of neighbors offer ample opportunities to socialize.
- Usually easier to find apartments to rent rather than duplexes.
- Typically, fewer maintenance responsibilities.
- More likely to come with professional management
Cons of an Apartment Unit
- Multiple neighbors can make the complex noisy (if sound control measures not in place)
- Parking can be challenging if the complex has a low parking to apartment ratio
Ultimately, the decision between an apartment and a duplex is yours based on your budget and needs. Both have potential pros and cons, decide what works best for you.