Where do you get the floorplans for your apartment? Usually, you get floor plans from the property manager (perhaps during your initial tour), and you certainly should request floorplans before you sign a lease.
The floorplans might also be available online. In practice, you should confirm that the apartment identified on the lease is the same floor plan you agreed to before signing the lease.
Why Get Apartment Floorplan Beforehand?
Getting your apartment floorplan before moving in is smart for a number of reasons –
- Allows you to choose furniture, beds, and other items for the space in advance.
- Gives you the opportunity to consider the layout to decide whether it suits your needs and lifestyle.
Without a floorplan, it can be difficult for you to visualize the space and determine if it accommodates your families’ needs.
One of the biggest considerations in picking a floor plan is space and layout. Equally important though, a floor plan can tell you a lot about the apartment, such as whether there is a washer/dryer in the unit, how many windows there are, if there is an open layout, what floor the apartment is located on, and whether there is a shower or tub situation in the bathrooms.
Here are some questions to ask/consider when reviewing a floor plan for an apartment –
- Does the apartment provide adequate space for the type of furniture and storage you need?
- Do the dimensions work?
- Does it come with a washer and dryer?
- Is it an open floor plan concept or each room walled off?
- Is the kitchen open layout or is it more an alleyway kitchen?
- Do there seem to be enough windows?
- Is there a tub or stand-up shower? You may have a preference
- What type of flooring is there? (carpet or plank flooring)
- What floor will the unit be on (i.e. 1st floor, 2nd floor, etc.)
Even if the property manager provides you with a description of the apartment, always ask for a floorplan so you can understand the space more clearly, particularly if you have not seen the apartment in person.
There’s a lot of useful information you can obtain from a floor plan.