There are few places as spirited and alive as July in Philadelphia! After all, Philadelphia is the birthplace of the nation. There isn’t another city that claim that! Where else would you want to be than where it all began? Each year, Philadelphia is honored with an influx of tourists who want to soak in the rich American history in our oldest neighborhoods, visiting the home of the Declaration of Independence, as well as the buildings in which our Founding Fathers assembled to draft, edit and inevitably sign the Declaration of Independence.
For Americans, pride and patriotism rush to the forefront of all of our minds in the days leading up to the 4th of July. Hearts swell as we celebrate Independence Day, a nation like none other in the world. To make the most of it, here are some fun events happening in celebration of Independence Day for all to take part in and enjoy!
1) JULY 1st: Philadelphia Orchestra and Fireworks display at Penn’s Landing! (101 S. Columbus Boulevard) 7 PM; FREE. – Enjoy a free concert at dusk by the world-renowned Philadelphia Orchestra, followed by the first fireworks display of the weekend.
2) JULY 3rd: Historic Philadelphia Block Party (520 Chestnut St. 19106), 1-8 PM; FREE: The afternoon will be jam packed with food, vendors and continuous sources of entertainment happening right next to Independence Hall.
3) JULY 4th: Independence Day Parade (5th and Chestnut St.), 11 AM; FREE: The annual 4th of July parade returns with floats, live music, and even a guest appearance from Miss America 2016 (Betty Cantrell)!
4) JULY 4th: Party on the Parkway (From 20th St to Eakins Oval), 12 PM-10 PM; FREE: Celebrating the diversity and rich histories of various neighborhoods around Philadelphia, Party of the Parkway is an all-day event showcase featuring food, live music, cultural events, children’s activities and dance! So much merry in one place, you’ll definitely be ready to spend the day on the Parkway!
5) Wawa Welcome America July 4th Grand Finale Fireworks Display! (Benjamin Franklin Parkway at Eakins Oval), 10 PM; FREE: Combined with a musical arrangement, this display is designed to illustrate 240 years of American achievements and patriotism. With the iconic Philadelphia Museum of Art as backdrop, the fireworks will provide a truly exceptional holiday experience.
Regardless of what you choose to do or where you are this Independence Day, we hope you have a happy and safe holiday weekend and celebrate your American pride!