Whether you’re moving to your first ever rental apartment or downsizing from a house to an apartment, you’ll want to know everything possible about apartment leases, including when apartment leases start.
When do apartment leases start in the United States?
So you might be asking “When Do Apartment Leases Start?” In the United States, apartment leases typically start on the 1st of the month; however, it is not uncommon, for a lease to start at any point during the month as many landlords will start a lease the moment the apartment is ready for occupancy.
For example, imagine an apartment becomes available on the 10th of the month and let’s assume it takes 7 days to clean and prepare the apartment. By the 17th the apartment will be prepared and ready for move in. In this instance, your lease could start on the 17th of the month if the landlord permits it.
How are apartment leases managed?
Every property management company will have its own way of handling apartment leases so it is important to check with them if you’re looking to rent.
- Leases are usually specific to a fixed term, most often one year. This basically means you agree to live in the apartment for that amount of time.
- You will pay some form of a security deposit based on the apartment you’re moving into, in addition to other funds and deposits that may be required (this varies from state to state)
- Rent is usually paid via cash or check, but some companies may even accept credit cards and other forms of online payments.
- Rent is usually charged monthly.
- Typically, renters must pay hefty fees if the lease is breached and you need to move out early.
Apartment leases are important to protect your interests as a tenant. The day it starts is not quite as important as what it contains so make sure you have a thorough read to ensure that it meets your terms and conditions too. If you need the lease to start on a specific date, it can’t hurt to ask.