Making the move to your own apartment? How exciting! But after soaking in your newfound living space, you’ve got plenty to consider – especially when it comes to furniture. How big is the apartment? How much floor space is available? What color scheme works best? And so much more! This guide will help you decide what furniture you need for your new apartment.
Prioritize what you categorically need for your apartment by thinking of function first. Here’s what you must have in terms of furniture for your apartment –
- Bed – Sleep is a critical part of your life so start with your bed. You’ll naturally want a comfortable bed and mattress to help you get a good night’s rest. Test as many as you can before you narrow down your choices.
- Bedside Table – Often overlooked, a bedside table is incredibly useful. Place your night lamp on it. Keep your alarm clock right next to you. Store your essentials. Or, simply leave your mobile phone on it while you sleep.
- Couch – For your living room, you’ll want a couch. How else can you sit relaxingly while your much-loved television show is on? Shop around and choose something that fits into your budget, taste, and lifestyle.
Once you’ve ticked off your ‘must-have’ list, and still have some room – think of the stuff you’d like to have. These are non-essentials, but would still look fantastic in your new apartment.
- Coffee Table – Now that you’ve got that amazing couch positioned right across from your television, you’ll probably want a place to store your drinks and food while you catch up on a few flicks. A coffee table is a great choice!
- Dining Table And Chairs – You could eat on the floor or on your couch. Or, imagine an exquisite dining table sprucing up your apartment. Choose a table small enough for just four people, or something bigger for more diners.
- Bar Stools – If you have an open kitchen concept, bar stools are excellent additions. Now, your guests can hover around while you prepare a meal. Never feel left out of the action again.
- Full-Length Mirror – Without a full-length mirror, how do you make sure your outfit looks great? Plus, it reflects light beautifully – making the entire space look bigger and brighter. A double whammy win!
Now that you’ve got your must-haves and nice-to-haves down pat, what about adding some gorgeous accessories to elevate the space? Here are some accessories that can make any apartment go from drab to fab in seconds –
- Ottoman – A stylish ottoman not only offers space for seating, but it can give your home a touch of flair almost instantly. Go as bold as you like, or choose a demure color depending on the décor style you prefer.
- Storage Organizers – Why settle for single closet bars that don’t hold much? Improve your storage space with organizers like over-the-door shoe racks, accessory hangers, open shelves, and hanging storage. Go vertical with storage organization to take the clutter off your floors.
- Window Treatments – Natural light is the best kind, but you certainly don’t want to be dealing with the harsh rays of the sun in the middle of the afternoon. Choose delicate curtains or attractive blinds to help control the lighting in your apartment. Be sure to check your lease first and get approval from the landlord if needed.
These furniture ideas will help you decide what you need for your new apartment. Start off with the essentials for a stress-free move, and work your way towards the accessories and nice-to-haves.