All summer long there are lots of uniquely Philly events to check out. Whether you’re visiting for the weekend or live in the city, below are a list of Summer-fun outdoor options – most of which run throughout the summer months. Check before you go and enjoy the festivities and outdoor lifestyle that makes Philadelphia so unique.
1. Blue Cross RiverRink Summer – Along the Delaware River in Center city, lit up at night, with an outdoor rolling rink, mini-golf, food, and carnival rides, this is a unique summer long festival in Philly. Entrance to the park is free and open to public. There of course fees to enter the skating rink and some of the attractions.
Address: 101 SOUTH COLUMBUS BLVD, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106
2. Spruce Street Harbor Park – Not too far away (about .3 miles), in a more relaxing yet lively ambiance is Spruce Street Harbor Park, with hammocks, floating gardens, and places to hang out. Head along the board walk to see the ping pong, shuffleboard, games, and food vendors, including the world-famous Franklin Fountain (which has a booth on-site at the park). Meander throughout the grounds and enjoy the music, sights, and more.
Address: Columbus BLVD and Spruce Street, 19106
3. Chinese Lantern Festival – Although this event usually ends mid-summer, it’s a popular event and it’s back in Franklin Square (near Old City). Enjoy lit up larger than life lanterns, and marvelous displays of live performances including acrobatics, dance, and more. There’s also a carousel, 18-hole mini golf course and gift shop. Be sure to check out the website for details on tickets and more.
Address: Franklin Square (6th and Race Streets)
4. Parks on Tap – A rotating first-come, first-serve beer garden that pops up on select days throughout the summer at over 20 parks throughout the city. There is fresh food, beers on tap, and non-alcoholic beverages in a beer garden format. Check the schedule to see when the park will be near you.
Address: Varying parks through the city (see link below)
5. Rittenhouse Farmers Market – Although offered year-round, put on by Farm to City, the Rittenhouse Farmers Market can be a great summer activity. Saturday from 9am to 3pm during the summer. Enjoy the sights of the market while taking in the famous sights of Rittenhouse square.
Address: Rittenhouse Square (18th and Walnut)
Before going, it’s a good idea to check the organizer’s website and call ahead to confirm details, hours of operation, programming, and more.